February 20, 2009 at 11:46 pm 9 comments

I am sitting next to one fitful little girl restlessly sleeping.

Thank God, her surgery went well without complications.  The doctor removed her tonsils and adenoids (they had grown back from two years ago).  Her ears were clear so no tubes today!

I can’t explain what it’s like to hand your child over to strangers and then walk downstairs to the basement to get an Egg McMuffin.

But it all went quickly and before I knew it Polly was back in my arms and we were nestled into a private room.

At least we got something out of her fussing so much.

I’ve spent over six hours in her hospital bed, the only way she wouldn’t cry and keep the oxygen tube near her face.

Now her sleep is even, the oxygen tube is pushed to the side (per the nurse’s instructions) and I marvel at the fact that here we are again; Polly and I in the hospital, except this time it will be two days instead of twenty and it’s America instead of Ukraine (and I LOVE her nurse today; I feel like giving her a hug every time she enters our room).  I am neither in emotional nor physical pain and whereas I couldn’t imagine life with my new little baby almost three years ago when I sat with her day after day in the hospital, now when I look at her my eyes tear up.

I can’t imagine what life would be like without her.


Entry filed under: Down syndrome, Hospital stays, Sickness, Special Needs, Tonsils.

A slower weekend, tonsillectomy tomorrow What a difference a day makes

9 Comments Add your own

  • 1. kwgoodwin  |  February 21, 2009 at 12:49 am

    we love you and understand all without explanation – so glad our girl did so well! love you guys!

  • 2. kwgoodwin  |  February 21, 2009 at 12:49 am

    it’s bonnie by the way, not sure why the computer thinks I’m kirk…?

  • 3. Brigitte  |  February 21, 2009 at 3:22 am

    I am so glad it went well. We love you guys!!

  • 4. Christy  |  February 21, 2009 at 3:27 am

    I’m so glad things went well and you have her procedure behind you.

  • 5. amy  |  February 21, 2009 at 4:58 am

    i am so glad she is doing so well! hug her from her frieneds here in iowa!

  • 6. Anonymous  |  February 21, 2009 at 11:05 am

    OH! I’m so glad it went smoothly!!! I remember being in the hospital (at age 4) for my adenoids out and tubes in my ears. It was a little scary and I was glad my mom stayed with me. I’m so glad you could be there with her!! I don’t know if that would happen here. .. .

  • 7. Alida  |  February 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm

    Praise God that all went well!!

  • 8. Amy  |  February 23, 2009 at 7:07 pm

    Hey Gillian,

    I’m so glad to hear it went well! Been wondering about you guys! Still praying for you, friend.

    Much love.

  • 9. kristi  |  February 23, 2009 at 7:20 pm

    I am so glad she is okay!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Our new friend Hope needs our prayers too!

Polly needs our prayers!

Reece’s Rainbow Christmas Angel Tree

To Select a Bauble For Your Blog


All material on this blog is copyright of Gillian Marchenko

%d bloggers like this: